Pages

24 March 2011

My Hooved Carnivore

Two posts in one day? Who knew...

I want to share a fun little story with my readers; all 4 of you? lol Normally I do not feed treats to my horses for safety reasons. If the occasions occurs when I do, it is large pieces such as half a carrot, an apple, or a piece of orange. Like many people, I have had fingers accidentally nipped here and there over the years though nothing damaging beyond a bruise and always 100% my fault.

Saturday morning a family friend came over to meet the two knucklehead horses...then my nonhorsie neighbor decided to join. I let them interact. I gave warnings of not allowing nibblings, lipping, or licking due to possibility of teeth entering the equation to the friend. I also told the neighbor I require supervision if people want to mess with the horses (he allowed his young daughter to pet them when I wasn't home and she got shocked on my electric fence the other day.)

Well all was going well and I went to show the friend Big Horse's bowing trick. Without thinking I went to hand him a treat for doing it well. The treat was a tiny Manna Pro which I normally put in their bucket due to it's size. Well, instead of grabbing the treat the horse had my right index finger. He didn't realize it, he just knew I was mad as a hornet and he began backing away from me. He couldn't figure out why I was following him and was worried even more because I was trying to get him to open his mouth. He had not bit down all the way and I was both trying to get him to open his mouth and keep him occupied where he wouldn't bite all the way. Well, he wouldn't let go and bit down hard enough I heard a crunch so I may have punched him. He let go thankfully.

My mother and the other two watched the incident and asked how I was. I looked at my hand, said I wanted to go to the ER and that I didn't think I should be looking at tendons. I walked up to the friend and neighbor and explained that this incident is not normal and that I hope they now took my warnings seriously. I then went inside, made sure I could still move the finger, washed it, wrapped it and off I went.

My father and I stopped at Jack in the Box for breakfast first before going to the ER. They cleaned it, bandaged it, and gave me lots of antibiotics....it looks much much better already. :)


Day 1...few hours after injury; already swollen closed
























Day 2 after removing the bandage for the first time... yummy




































No comments:

Post a Comment